This is the first of a two part episode that discusses how to do basic customisation of Emacs.
This episode covers some basic elisp which is the language that you can extend and modify Emacs with.
I do have an entire section dedicated to teaching Emacs lisp. This is a quick intro solely for the purpose of doing basic customisations.
The H.264 version of the video for iOS devices is at https://archive.org/download/EmacsMovies/08.1-episode-customisation-1.mkv.
The main things which are covered are
- A super fast overview of elisp - sexps and prefix notation.
C-jto evaluate sexps.
- Simple expressions like
(+ 2 2 )
- Assigning values to symbols using
- Executing simple functions like
- Changing the value of variables like
- Writing simple functions.
C-h vto get documentation on functions and variables.
- Steve Yegges Emergency Elisp is a quick primer for those who want to learn useful basics.
- Xah Lee’s Emacs lisp tutorial is another more detailed tutorial for the language.
- The official Gnu An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp is an elisp tutorial for non programmers.
- The official Emacs lisp reference is more thorough guide which is not very useful as a tutorial but handy to have around when you’re actually coding in elisp.